Sunday, November 9, 2008

More preparation

The car seat has been installed! Thanks, Daddy!

I spent the day with a good friend who, unlike me, is quite the seamstress. Months ago we had made plans to make a blanket for the baby. Here's the part that may be difficult for some to read...we made it out of my wedding dress. Yes, that means that we cut up my gown. Actually, back when Chris and I got married in 2006 I had the idea to some day make nursery accessories out of the gown. I thought it would be a way to save the dress and pass it down to my children, without expecting them to actually wear it. So the dress has been cut up for 2 years now.

Lori and I started our adventure at Jo-Ann Fabrics. We selected a soft blue fleece and some comfy cotton batting. Back at her house we decided which portions of the dress detail to include. Then the seam-ripping, pinning, and sewing began. Well, I ripped seams and Lori did the rest. We came close to finishing, but ran into dinner time. Lori is going to put the finishing touches on during the week and hopefully will bring it to me next weekend. I can't wait to post a pic. Hopefully Layla will love it! Thanks, Lori!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So awesome. First, the colors in the embroidery on your gown are perfect, and second, what a fantastic way to share with your children! Love the whole idea.

Dreolin said...

What a great idea for your dress! I can't wait to see pictures!

Maltese Falcon said...

I think this is a much better idea (using your wedding dress) than making a blanket for Layla from Chris' wedding tuxedo. Layla, your daddy and I put up the curtains in your room last week, and though it slopes slightly to the right, I think you can barely notice it. I thought I would tell you first before your mother certainly does. Waiting for our meeting, Granddaddy Ralph

Meredith said...

I can't wait to see how the blanket turns out. What a great idea.