Sunday, February 1, 2009

RSV can't keep me down



Mom and Dad are exhausted after spending the last two nights with little sleep but Layla is going strong. As our previous posts relate, Layla has RSV which is basically a really bad cold for babies. We have been giving her Albuterol treatments every four hours.

Yesterday, she sounded awful. Every rasping, cackling breath broke my heart. She slept in the pack 'n' play right next to our bed so that I could check on her easily. She was a trooper while Mom and Dad did the best they could. There were several times in the middle the night where she was coughing and hacking so forcefully I jumped up thinking, "This is it, I'm going to have to perform baby CPR." She would finish her coughing spell and go back to a perfectly restful sleep. How do babies do that?

Anyway, the above video was taken around noon-time the day after being in the ER at Children's. Mom gave her a much needed bath to wash off two days of coughed up mucus and milk. (It was all over her.) You can hear her labored breathing but as heartbreaking as it sounds, it is music to my ears as it's nothing like the cacophony we were hearing yesterday. I never thought I'd appreciate rhythmic wheezing in sotto voce. Even RSV doesn't stop Layla from enjoying her gym.

Layla, now washed and changed, was left alone with me while Mom and Mimi (my mom) went out shopping. (How did that happen?) Layla isn't fully recovered. I just had to hold her upright so she could cough up some phlem more easily, but she's doing better today than yesterday. Hopefully this trend will continue.

2 comments:

Dreolin said...

I'm glad she is doing better!

Dan Stouch said...

Ugh! - our two had a cold but not RSV. Good luck and I hope Layla works through it quickly!